Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Enticing them to want to play...


She just makes it look like fun, I guess..  This article is about Mozart's mother.  I wonder about these heroes.  Here I am, trying to be a better Suzuki mom, but I have only begun to explore what it takes to rear musical children.  I know she looks like a wild card.  We'd get along famously.  Since I can't meet her (or other great musical mommies) every day, I'll keep reading the good book and reporting in once in a while.  


In Suzuki's book, Ability Development from Age Zero, p. 10-14, he gives us moms some help in enticing our children to want to play.  

It's so fun and easy.  O.K. Here's how you do it.  You just pick up your little 3 year old's violin or flute or whatever their playing, and you play it.  Act like you're having a grand old time of it.  Put on the twinkle songs and play right along with them.  Have a concert for Daddy.  Make sure he lavishes you with praise and such.  (that wouldn't hurt either way)  By this time, the little critter will be dying to pick up that fiddle and practice.  She'll be begging for a lesson.  "O.K.  if you're good.. and IF you promise to practice....I'll sign you up for a lesson... etc. etc. "  

O.K. this isn't EXACTLY what Suzuki said to do, but he's so chop chop about life.  You get the idea.